Monday, June 1, 2015

Exterior Frame Cleaning

Had a very busy month of May as my son graduated High School and finalized his college decision.  Exciting times.  I hope to make the most of our moments together this summer before he heads off to the Pacific Northwest.  Also rebuilt my back deck and finished my Allstate engine rebuild in May.  So not a lot of focus on the VL1T.

This past weekend I started some cleaning on the frame.  It was not too bad.  Oftentimes the grease and dirt on the bottom and in the engine compartment is so thick it takes tons of work to get it loose.  On this girl there was certainly some of that but not as bad as I have seen.  Here are some pictures before I got started.




In the top picture you can see the left hand side floorboard has the worst rust areas.  I worked those pretty good and lost a fair amount of paint but still believe I will move forward retaining the original with some kind of clear coat idea.  The underside is in great condition and the grease and dirt started to let go after a few minutes of gentle work and soaking.  DAWN detergent and a sponge, nothing caustic or abrasive.

I also took her over to the car wash and let her soak there for a bit and used some careful pressure.  It will take one more try this weekend and I will post finished pictures.  Then on to the rust issue with Evapo-Rust.

One nice thing when you clean a scoot like this is you see every inch up close.  Interestingly the front of the leg shield was exposed to some kind of paint on the left hand side.  The original paint is still on the right hand side and also in places on the left but there is a shade of grey on the left which I will try to see if I can lift off.  The line between the two colors under the horn cast is very distinct almost like it was masked off or was sitting in a corner where a box or tarp covered part of the leg shield and left part exposed while another object was being painted.  If you look at the photo at the top of the page you can see the color variation clearly around where the "VESPA" plate should be.  Oddly the horncast is 100% the correct original color  almost like it was not on the scoot when the grey color was introduced?  Another odd mystery from somewhere in the past 60 years.

On another note the cobbler has finished work on the saddle and I will probably pick that up tomorrow and post some photos.  I hope I am happy.



No comments:

Post a Comment