Sunday, June 28, 2015

Clear coats, Penetrol and other finishing ideas

As I get various parts cleaned and ready for reassembly I am trying to finish them up, move them to the side and then turn my attention to the next parts of the project.

To that end I spent some time this weekend playing around with  a few finishing ideas for the wheels, cowls and mudguard  Here are some pictures and end results.

If you read the blog entry when I was pulling the tires from the rims you will have seen this picture already.  The tires were shot but the rims looked they they could be saved.



Once the tires were removed the rims were soaked in Evapo-rust.  I think they came out looking pretty good.  There was some missing paint where the rust had eaten it away but lots of good paint remained.  I hit the cleaned up rims with a few coats of satin clear enamel to seal up the bare metal parts and protect what paint was remaining.  On the inside I worked the rust down to a manageable level and used a Dremel to sand down the surface of the rims so the tire and inner tubes will have smooth contact with the rim itself.  I then coated the inside of the rim with a permatex rust converter to help prevent future rust build up. The rims are ready to go on the shelf for now and wait for some new tires. 



As I finish cleaning various body parts I am finishing off the painted sides with several coats of Penetrol.  Penetrol has the viscosity to penetrate the single stage paint helping to refresh its color and integrity while also providing a good shine as can be seen below.  I have heard some complain that Penetrol remains tacky but I have never had that experience.  I live in Colorado where the climate is high and dry and this product hardens up just fine for a nice protective finish.


No comments:

Post a Comment