Saturday, June 13, 2015

Floorboard rust removal

As stated I was going to use Evaporust to pull the rust off the worst parts.  Started that process this week focusing on the left floorboard where the frame rust was worst.



I have taken the rubber out of the floor rails and am working to soften that up before putting it back in place.  One rubber was too tight to remove without pulling the rivets which I did not want to do so you can see it still in place.

There are holes in the floorboard for the center stand so I plugged those up with dental wax like the kids use on their braces.  I then filled the entire floorboard with about 3 quarts of Evaporust.  The paper towels are acting to keep some of the Evaporust on spots where the pool of product did not quite reach.  

The preliminary results have been very good and these photos are actually of round 2.  Once the process is complete I will post a before and after picture.   The paint in this area is very weak and a fair amount of it will come off as I continue to clean and then prep for whatever coating will eventually go down.

The frame is solid with no pinholes or rust weakness.  If at some time in the future of this scooter's life someone wanted to blast and repaint the entire bike the frame is a very good candidate for that process.

No comments:

Post a Comment