Monday, May 4, 2015

Rust removal

If you have looked at the pictures you know I will be dealing with some rust removal.  In the past I have used Evapo-Rust with good results.  It is very safe, non-toxic easy to use and easy to dispose of after the job is done.  Here is the product in a 1 gallon container cost of roughly $23.




I was a bit worried about this project because of the age of the paint and how any rust removal process might possibly damage the paint that remains.  So over the past 36 hours I conducted a small test.  Using the rear license plate bracket which had both painted and primed surfaces I let the pieces soak for about 7 hours.  I took the pieces out of the Evapo-Rust once I saw that all of the rust had been removed. The paint was not affected in any way.  Loose paint came off as expected but stable paint was not susceptible to even rigorous rubbing with a cloth.  In other words the paint was not softened and dislodged from the metal surface.  Here are some before and after shots:




The primed backing plate (which is located inside the back fender of the scoot) did have some dislodging of the primer and when rubbed vigorously the primer began to separate from the metal.  Over all I am very pleased.  You can see how the white paint really cleaned up nicely.  I am not sure how I will address the primer issue as this scoot has lots of primed surfaces under the rear fender and in the gas tank holding area. I do not want that primer to come loose.  The other challenge will be finding a way to dunk all the different sides of the scoot in the Evapo-Rust.  This is a submersion process and I am not going to purchase a 55 gallon drum.  I have a few ideas...

Evapo-Rust  $23  Grand total $973

No comments:

Post a Comment