Monday, July 6, 2015

Front suspension cleaning

Starting to get serious about cleaning the front end suspension and fork.  Here are a few pictures of the progress.

This is the front spring and shock before cleaning.  For greasy parts like these I lather them up with GOJO hand cleaner.  The GOJO really gets after the grease and loosens it up for easy removal with a rag or towel or water and brush whatever technique is appropriate for the piece.  Because I did not want to introduce water to these pieces I wiped them down with rags once the Gojo did the hard work.



I did nothing to the shock after cleaning off the grease.  There is still some decent resistance so I think I will put it back on the scoot and see how the front end responds.  If it is too bouncy then I will replace the shock later.  I rarely use the front brakes so I suspect it will be fine.  I hit the spring with some new aluminum color Rustoleum paint and it looks super.  The spring will probably be the best looking part on the finished scoot.  I will likely do the back spring the same way so they match on the final product.



Here is the front suspension half disassembled.  Next off is the swingarm pivot.  Then remove the axle and finally get down to some rust removal.


And here is the swingarm pivot removed.  I took this photo just in case there is any question how these pieces go back together during reassembly.  This is the exact order in which the various washers will go back on to the swingarm pivot post during rebuild.  They all cleaned up very nicely and will be reusable. 


3 comments:

  1. DId you ever get this back together, I am having the same issue email me dgg084@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. all my needle bearings fell out

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have added a new post titled "clean front fork and swingarm" to provide some photos and text related to the above question.

    ReplyDelete