Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Vespa 55 VL1T rebuild day 1

April 21, 2015

Like many other Vintage Vespa owners I am going to try and capture a vintage rebuild via a series of blog posts.  Along the way I will post pictures and track total expenses which may help some in the future.

If you have any comments, questions or suggestions as you read these pages feel free to drop me a note. Who knows what we may learn along the way.

I own several Vintage Vespa models but this blog will follow my efforts with my first wideframe.  A 1955 Vespa VL1T.  I found the frame for sale on Craig's List Minneapolis.  Made arrangements and met the seller in Des Moines.  This is just a frame with no engine or rear hub.  The frame is solid and straight with some surface rust.  There are many original parts and original paint which hopefully will be worth saving. My goal is not to perform a full concourse restoration on this scoot.  I want to see if I can breathe some life back in to an old frame which may otherwise have been headed to the scrap yard.

Below is a picture of Derek on the left at our meeting in Des Moines.  The scoot is loaded in to the back of my Subaru wagon.


 Here she is in the garage.  Joined by my Allstate which is getting new cables, harness and a new 150 cc engine and my operational (for now) Sprint and VNB.


After a 750 mile drive home (1500 miles round trip) she was unloaded and in the garage.  Total cost $750 for the frame and $200 in travel/shipping expenses.  Grand total so far $950.

No comments:

Post a Comment